July 3, 2013

How I Can Salsa (Step by Step)

Click to play video

This is the step by step notes for my new video on canning salsa.  Click the pick above to go to the YouTube video I've made for this.

If you're going to get into canning, I highly recommend the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving.  It's the canner's bible.  Click pic to check it out and browse other supplies from Ball's fresh preserving website or use the link on the right hand side of the page to get $10 off any order of $75 or more, if you'd like to stock up on supplies and equipment.  That's like FREE money if you're really into canning!  Their site also has recipes & info available for all kinds of canning taken from the Blue Book:


Ball® Blue Book Guide to Preserving
http://www.freshpreservingstore.com/  
 
First, I run my jars & lids through the dishwasher and then I place the jars in the boiling canner for about 15 minutes to sanitize them. 


The lids will be placed in a sauce pan and set to simmer, but not boil.  I just want enough heat to soften the wax rings for sealing.

 
 
While this is happening, I bring the salsa to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer it.

 
 
Once the jars are sanitized I drain them and set them on a towel and I will add 1/4 tsp of citric acid for pint jars or a 1/2 tsp. for quart jars.  This lowers the pH and ensures safe canning/storage of the food:
  

Ball® 7.5-oz. Citric Acid
 
 Next, I fill the warmed jars, with warm salsa, using a wide mouth funnel leaving 1/2" head space, on pint jars, that's to the bottom neck ring:
 
 
Ball® 5-in. Wide Mouth Funnel
 
Next you'll want to remove any air bubbles using a non-metallic spatula.  Ball's website has a deal on a utensil kit (spatula, jar lifter, funnel, AND magnetic lid lifter) for under ten bucks if you need those items & if you're going to can, you will (now Mrs. Reaganite can have her frosting knife and antenna magnet back that I used in the video LOL):

Ball® 4-pc. Canning Utensil Set

 
 
Once your jars are full (with the required head space), wipe the rings and lip of the mouth with a moist paper towel so that you will get a good seal with the wax rings on the lids.  Center the lids on the jars and screw the ring bands on finger tight:
 
 
  
Bring the water in the canner to a rolling boil.  Add a little white vinegar if you have hard water to keep mineral deposits from forming on your jars and have them come out nice and shiny.  Try to keep the jars from touching one another so that you get even heating of all of them.
 
 
 
Boil your salsa for 15 minutes at sea level, adjust time for higher altitudes as directed by the blue book or your recipe.
 
After the time's up, place jars on a flat surface with a towel beneath in an undisturbed area for 24 hours.  As the jars cool, you'll hear them pop as the air comes out and the lid sucks down creating a vacuum. 
 
 
 
24 hours later, check the lids for proper seal.  There should be no give or sponginess.  Any jars that didn't seal, refrigerate them and use first.
 
 
Now you can label and store your salsa.  Mark the date on each lid and use within one year.
 
You can also get some really neat professional looking canning labels from my own labels:

 
 
 
 



2 comments:


  1. Found your blog. It is full of really good information. Thank you for sharing. If you ever need service on ac repair please visit us at rheemteamcomfort.com. We would love it if you would have a look at some of our blogs and let us know your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just received my check for $500.

    Sometimes people don't believe me when I tell them about how much money you can earn by taking paid surveys at home...

    So I took a video of myself getting paid $500 for paid surveys.

    ReplyDelete